Listen in on this candid conversation about money and happiness, student loan debt, life priorities, and what defines successful entrepreneurs.
Tulane business professor Rob Lalka joins Erik Garcia, CFP®, BFA, and Xavier Angel, CFP®, ChFC, CLTC, in this episode of Stuff About Money They Didn’t Teach You in School. Rob is actually teaching this stuff in school!
Rob Lalka also serves as Executive Director of the Albert Lepage Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
- Rob explains what he now knows about money that he wishes he had known 15 or 20 years ago. (7:05)
- Rob discusses how he approached paying off his student debt. (10:10)
- Erik discusses how we are often pushed to do things that can lead to bad situations because we need the money. (14:40)
- Rob believes that true richness comes from spending time with people we care about and sharing experiences with them. (15:15)
- Rob mentions that money isn’t everything, but it is necessary to be able to navigate the world. (16:12)
- Rob explains why he teaches his students that building relationships is the most important thing they can do in their early to mid-20s. (23:08)
- Rob explains that entrepreneurship is more than just a business mode, it’s a mindset, a way of looking at the world. (31:14)
- Rob discusses the significance of understanding the values and perspectives of others. (36:52)
- Rob believes that student debt is a significant problem since people signed up for something they didn’t realize they were getting into. (49:07)
- “Your student debt is not Monopoly money, it’s real money.” – Rob Lalka
- “Money ain’t rich, but you do need money to be able to navigate the world.” – Rob Lalka
- “Entrepreneurship is not a way of doing business, it’s really a mentality, it’s a way that you see the world.” – Rob Lalka